Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weekend in Madrid!

The weekend before last, Oct. 10-13, the kids had a "puente" literally translated to "bridge". It means that Sunday was a holiday and therefore the kids got the following Monday off.  We took advantage of this 3-day weekend and went to Madrid to visit Juan's brother and sister that live in the outskirts of Madrid.  Juan's mom was already there because Nacho, Juan's brother had shoulder surgery earlier in the week.  Ana and her daughter Lena decided to join us too.  They live in the city of Málaga.  Once Natalia, Juan's younger sister heard we were all going, she decided to drive up as well with her fiancé Oscar.  They also live in Málaga.  It turned out to be a Sanchez family reunion.  Grandma Carmelina had all 5 of her children and all 9 of her grandkids together.  

Juan drove up with his sister Ana and Esteban, while Pablo, David, Lena and I took the fast train, "el Ave" to Madrid.   It goes 270 km/hour and turns a 5 -6 hour drive into a 2.5 hour ride.  Pablo was so excited about the train!!!  We left at 8pm and got into the train station at 10:30pm.  where my 16 year old nephew, Nacho (Ignacio) greeted us with his dad.  He was so tall and had facial hair.  I hadn't seen him in a couple of years.  

We drove through "La Castellana" in Madrid.  It was so beautiful!  I reminisced about this city which had been my home for a year, exactly 20 years ago.  I loved to see all the lights on the elaborate fountains and the architecture.  Most of all, I love the life of the city - the people walking around, sitting at outside cafés, or pushing their baby carriage, as they go out for an evening stroll.  

Juan, Esteban, David and I would have an opportunity to do the same later that weekend, when we went to the "Museo del Prado".  It was amazing to see how David and Esteban took it all in.  They really appreciated seeing first hand, some of the paintings they had seen in art class last year or only seen in books.  We also saw "La Puerta de Alcalá" and walked through "El Retiro" park.  Pablito stayed with the cousins that evening.  We went on Sunday, which was "El Dia de la Hispanidad" so right in front of the museum, there was a parade with people in traditional dresses, and music, representing various Latin American countries.  Many more immigrants from Latin America, than I remember seeing 20 years ago.

As we drove through the city that evening, I thought about how much had happened in the past 20 years and now in this city, things were pretty much the same.  A few new buildings, but pretty much the same, with new foreign exchange students coming and being touched as I was by this experience.  My Madrid year had only been an instant in the life of this city and I took away so much from it.  There's something about being in another country that opens up your senses in a way that you don't always do at home.  Now, it's another instant that I'm here and I really want to enjoy it for what it is - a time to be with family, to be in the moment and find joy in the mundane.  It should be so simple . . . right?    I'm hoping to make this a practice that I can take home with me.


No comments: