Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First Impressions

I'm very excited to be writing my first blog.  I only wish I could have started it sooner.  So I'll probably be jumping back in time a bit these next few entries and getting you all caught up.  First of all, I should explain that one of the reasons why I couldn't start this sooner is because it took the phone company close to a month to install our phone and internet connection.  It's one of those things that hasn't changed in the past 20 years, when I last lived here for a year.  

The first few weeks, I was also very busy getting the kids settled into their schools.  The families register their children here in May for the following school year.  We registered them on Sept. 1st, as soon as the schools opened.  The school year started here on Monday, Sept. 15th.  Unfortunately, we couldn't have signed them up earlier because the schools are closed in the summer and also, you need to present a certificate of "empadronamiento".  We had to officially register at City Hall and show proof of address.  Anyway, Juan dealt with that rather tedious process.  

First, we signed up Esteban at his school called "Instituto Besmiliana".  It's the local public school, which is only a 15-20 minute walk from home.  Even though this would've been his freshman year in high school, here he's an upperclassman.  E.S.O. or "Escuela Secundaria Obligatoria" (Compulsory Secondary School) is 4 years; starts in 7th grade and goes through 10th grade.  So here, Esteban is in his 3rd year of E.S.O.  He's been in school for a month now and is really enjoying it.  He's even gone out to the movies at the local mall, with a group of classmates; just like he used to in Monterey!  

David's school situation was not as simple.  Because of his December birthdate, we were told he should be in the 4th grade, not 3rd, which he hasn't completed.  There were no exceptions and there were also no more slots for 4th grade at that school.  To make a long story short, he was placed in a new school with ocean views, where a 4th grade class was created and so far, there are only 9 students in his class, the majority of which are foreigners.  There are students from Argentina, Portugal, Ireland, Brazil, Italy and of course, California.  Although David was a little apprehensive at first in regards to school, he's learning a lot and quickly making friends.  He goes twice a week to play basketball, as part of an after-school program.

Pablo is also at David's school where they offer preschool for 3 and 4 year olds.  He was very excited about going and I was surprised at how quickly he took the teacher's hand and walked in with her on the first day - no tears.  I was more nervous for him than he was.  It's a pretty big class of 25 little 3-year-olds and 1 teacher and 1 assistant.  Also, he's going from 9am-2pm, just like David.  Fortunately, he has a wonderful, loving teacher and he comes home happy from school; unfortunately, he refuses to use the potty at school and holds it until he comes home.  A few times, he hasn't made it home.  Anyway, we're still working on this.  

But all in all, we have been enjoying the warm weather (although now it's cooling down) and the time we can spend with the grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  I LOVE to see how the boys are developing their relationships with their grandparents.  This is the only grandfather they've known (my dad passed away when I was a teen) so it's very touching for me to see them warming up to him.  So even though we had a few bumps along the road at the beginning, as we adjust to the "systems" here, overall, my first impressions are that we're going to have a wonderful year with opportunities for all of us to grow.

I'm including some pictures of the beautiful beach days, and afternoon's at grandpa's pool before school started.  

2 comments:

Juan L. Sánchez said...

Mayola, thank you for taking on this crazy adventure with me (and the boys). I am always impressed by how much you try to focus on the positives (which is so hard for me sometimes because of the emotional roller coasters).

Te quiero!

Luz Angelica said...

Mayolita aka Big Sis,
You never fail to inspire me or leave me wondering how much more amazing you can be... Your entire family is a blessing and you STILL are my biggest hero and constant motivator.... You are a BIG part of who I am and what I want to become. I miss you but I know you and Juan are taking care of each other and that gives me Peace...