Thursday, November 06, 2008

Viva Obama!

Wow!!!  What a great feeling to wake up to a new day with a new sense of hope and vision for a better future.  "I feel so proud to be an American!" I heard one lady say in Chicago after listening to his acceptance speech, and I felt the same way.   

Juan was up until 4am, on and off, following the election results on the internet.  I was so nervous when I woke up, hoping for the best but also trying to prepare for the worst.  I had been listening to stories of voter suppression on public radio and I was nervous that this could be another stolen election.  When Juan and Esteban told me Obama had won, I felt so relieved and so happy! We all sat around the computer in the afternoon, once the kids came home from school, to listen to Obama's acceptance speech.  What a truly remarkable speaker, what an intelligent and inspirational leader.  I was moved to tears as I heard him speak.  He has inspired people of all walks of life to get involved in our political process.  He has a huge task ahead, which he can't fix alone, so he challenges us to continue to be involved, to be that change which we seek.  He really makes you believe that anything is possible.  

Here in Spain, the cover of the local newspaper had a picture of Obama with the world behind him, saying that his triumph in the US is sending a wave of hope throughout the world.  One article here challenged its Spanish citizens to jump on the wave of hope and change that comes from America to create change here and make this a better society and a better world.  He's managed to inspire people all over the world.  Viva Obama!!  Viva OBAMA!

No comments: